11-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #256
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/...hicles/cars_en

Complex subject. Notice the fines. weight savings has become crucial for meeting Co2 standards.
Sorry to say, but it doesnt really work this way.
The weight is only a factor for the limit value curve, which sets the max. output for a vehicle. That means they can still make a big heavy suv with big engine (relatively big) but within limits.
The fleet average is independant of the weight.
But sure if the extra weight of the roof really adds up to the gas mileage of the car then its a decision they have to make: make z4's and less X6's or the other way around.

But if the extra weight of the folding metal roof really is such a deciding mechanical factor, one could ask themselves if that extra weight has a place on a sportscar.
From what I see people just dont want them anymore. Most people have a car like this as a second (often garaged) car so the weatherproof durability is no issue. Sportyness, and bootspace for a weekend out with the top down to enjoy the weather is probably more important. One of the reasons the 6 never came with a metal folding roof. The 6 conv is virtually always bought as a weekend car.
And for the Z it also shows in its sales figures. The e89 sold badly. And even worse: it sold very badly in its primary target market. It lost a big market segment. Thats why bmw changed over to the soft top again. Its a sales thing. Not a eu legislation thing.

As for ballooning on the highway: I live very close to the A31 in germany (probably one of germanys longest stretch of unlimited autobahn).
There the ballooning sometimes is a problem
But on the US snailbahn....not so much.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-14-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0