12-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
Can someone explain why the 4 (formerly 3 coupe) has more backseat than the 6? I don't really mind because I don't like taking people in the backseat anyway, but I just don't understand how this happens. Other than looks, where do we see and feel the bigger size of the 6 series? The trunk?
You are asking about the 6 coupe, right?

I doubt you'll get a better answer than "because BMW built it that way." But because it's built that way, short of boxes of tissue, a purse and assorted small acquisitions, little fits back there. It's also awkward to even get dry cleaning in and out from back there if one has more than just a few items.

I can speculate, and doing so I will offer the following:
  • the 6er is a GT car. Such cars rarely have more than a passing nod to a back seat. Few folks "grand tour" with more than one passenger, and I say "few" solely because it's hard to say "nobody" and be right.
  • the 3/4 series is more a daily driver type car for most folks. As a DD, it must have a reasonable level of general use functionality and one aspect of that is having a adult-useable rear seat. The majority of 3/4 series buyers will care about the blend of looks, practicality, ease of ownership and to some extent price. Most 6er customers are buying for the looks of the car and it's luxury and exclusivity.
  • few people cross shop the 3/4 series coupe with the 6er coupe. I would imagine that like me, those who do so with a mind for a DD, end up buying the 3/4 car. Those who do so seeking a personal luxury car choose the 6er.
You will feel the greater heft of the 6er when you drive the car. There's nothing light and nimble about the way it drives. It's at home in big sweeping curves and long rolling hills. It can make its way through quick, tight, twisty curves, but not with the same aplomb a 3/4 coupe can. You are very aware that you are pushing two tons of metal and leather into and through every curve, even if the car isn't heaving violently left and right. (an M6 takes on such things better, but it's still not the car you want for doing so -- better an M3/4) That said, it's certainly not any worse than most other GT cars, and is indeed better than many.

Is the trunk actually larger? I don't know. I didn't get so far into comparing the two that trunk size came into the equation.

Which "this" is it that you don't understand how it happens? That the 6 has less space in the back seat or how folks end up having to drive with more than one passenger.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0