11-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
M1 and M2 buttons are programmable short cuts and nothing more. There's nothing special they do that you can't select yourself by making adjustments to the car's systems. They are not automatically more aggressive. Pressing the M2 button can result in the most docile settings the car can have -- if it's set up that way. I doubt anyone would disable DSC for a test drive on the street (bad idea anyway). He was happy with the ride and steering and didn't mention an issue that would indicate a mellow shift program was selected.
He mentioned lag, and the preprogrammed settings for M2 (in the car I drove at least) gave a completely different throttle response and changed the feel of the car totally. The DSG shifts fast in comfort mode as well (so fast that you would not suspect there was anything mellow about it), but it is much quicker/harder in M2.

I know you can select the same settings via umpteen different choices through I-drive. The M1 and M2 buttons are BMWs preset choices for M drive. You can programme the M1 and M2 buttons with your individual settings as well.

But the factory setting for M2 completely transformed the car IMHO (in a way that no other M I've driven has done). For instance the throttle response in M2 was so instant that it was nearly impossible to drive at a steady pace in 1st and 2nd gear...

I was just trying to be helpful and point out that the cars behavious ("chill factor") depends on the settings you choose. I know many other that have tried the M5/M6 and just driven them in the std/comfort settings because they didn't know about the M1/M2 buttons (and didn't have enough time to start fiddling with I-drive).
Appreciate 0