Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
+1
I dont know that I agree with this. I think all of these cars (A7, CLS, 6er GC, Panamera, and yes, even the CL, S class, 7 Series, 6 Series, etc) after all, is this new "4+1" segment anything other than a cross-breed of a big coupe (CL/6er) and a big sedan in much the same way the "crossover SUV" emerged over the past decade? The bottom line is buyers are going to cross-shop all of these cars and decide what makes the most sense for them based on what they want to spend and how much performance, utility and luxury they want.

The CLS is only ~ $4k less, do you really think that is a meaningful sum at this price point? Also, as much as BMW options are, Benz options are even more (and of course Porsche options make all of the other German cars option costs look like chump change) and I would be a comparably equipped car is even closer than a $4k difference.

While the A7 undercuts the CLS and 6er GC by a large margin, I would say that is more aggressive pricing by Audi, and I believe it is a bit smaller inside, but I still think it is the same class.

So I think what you really have is a spectrum of "4+1" offerings and although they ultimately will have very different buyers, each of them clearly has all of the other "4+1"s squarely in their cross hairs.
Appreciate 0