View Single Post
      11-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
Jackbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Different standards, so you need to add 165 lbs (75kg).

It's the other way round. There will be a manual transmission for North America, but not for Europe. Here's the excerpt from the US press release:
Instantaneous power and torque are the stand-out features of the V-8 engine available of the new BMW 650i Convertible. The engine combines sporting character with outstanding smoothness, linear power delivery, and exceptional efficiency. The engine can be paired with either BMW’s new 8-speed Sport Automatic gearbox or BMW’s traditional 6-speed manual transmission, quite popular with North American enthusiasts.

Best regards,
south
I have always thought that it is Europe where most cars with manuals are sold. But having lately read the test of 550i F10 with manual which is only available in the USA I have to verify my knowledge. I don't understand why the customers in Europe are not given the choice of the manual gearbox. Is this a pure marketing reason? Or did they assume that there will sell very few of them?

I realize that the 8 speed automatic swaps cogs as fast as a lightning which also allows the car to achieve better mpg but I'd still choose manual over autobox, save some money and have a car which would simply give me more driving pleasure.

Apparently BMW has chosen the same way the Mercedes did a few years ago and starts to install automatic gearboxes as standard in more and more models: Z4 35is, 335d, all X5, all X6, all 6 pot X1 and X3, now all 6 Series models and 550i, 535d.
Almost gone are the days of pure driver cars
Appreciate 0