View Single Post
      05-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Help Please! Muffler Delete but that Drone

First…need to eat some crow here. Upstate650…you were right so no need to say “I told you so” haha. The drone is bad…very bad.

Here’s the story:
I had my mufflers deleted yesterday and had the tips installed. First and foremost, I wanted to achieve the look in the picture below. I am incredibly happy with how awesome the tips look coming through the M6 / v-style diffuser. The muffler shop here in Denver (House of Mufflers) did an absolutely fantastic job. I also had heard some clips on youtube of the exhaust sound and similarly, my exhaust note (when outside the car!) sounds absolutely fantastic, very exotic. But the drone is really bad. If I could somehow figure out a way to achieve the look I want, keep the sound, and reduce the drone, I would be happy.

Unfortunately, when in comfort mode, the car’s aims to run the RPMs up slowly to 2k and then shift. This slow generation of RPM build-up causes massive drone. When in sport mode, the drone is not bad when accelerating. However, when coasting around 40 or so MPH, the RPMs are just over 2k and again, the drone is horrible. Keep in mind I have a convertible so I am guessing it is a little worse for the F12 owners.

I have to do something. Going back to my original mufflers is possible but is not really an option. Quite frankly I can’t achieve the look of the quad burnt tips (these are 3.5” but I would love 4.0”) by purchasing single burnt tips for the 650 muffler (the dual outlets will only handle 3.0” round tips). I called the muffler shop up and he mentioned possibly adding a new muffler onto the deleted section that only has a single outlet that can accommodate the tips I purchased. He was mentioning trying out magnaflow and that it may reduce drone, there will likely still be some.

I am still very new to the N63TU engine and BMWs in general as I want to ask the experts out there…Do any of you guys have any advice? What about an M5 or M6 muffler? I know Megan has a setup but I just don’t love the sound and quite frankly, I like the tips I have so much more. I want to keep this somewhat cost friendly but I just took a $400 gamble and it failed pretty miserably. Goals remain as follows and in in priority: (1) keep burnt 3.5” or 4.0” dual tips (ideally the same ones I have), (2) no drone, (3) better exhaust sound. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0