10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Why would the exhaust lose it warranty just for powder coating the tips? That doesn't make sense as the powder coating process shouldn't affect the integrity of the parts? I've got my Eissenman Race exhaust for my 650ix from IND and had my tips black coated and it didn't do crap to my warranty. Not sure what Megan's reasoning is on this one.

IMHO sounds like you're going thru a lot of worry and frustration just for quad tips fitted to OEM mufflers. If it were me I'd just go with a designed and proven set up made for the 6 series yes...even if it meant an aftermarket exhaust IF that was the look I wanted. Otherwise it seems like a lot of worry for naught. IMHO. Watching with interest tho to see how this turns out for you.
Yeah, you're right. This has been more of a PITA than fun and enjoyment.

I don't know the reasoning behind it, that's what the guy from Megan told me when I mentioned power coating it gloss black. He said if you powder coat it, it will lose its 1 year warranty. If it starts rattling or any of the parts inside the exhaust are compromised, we wouldn't be able to replace it under warranty. Maybe I should call back and ask, what if just the tips are powder coated black and not the entire exhaust? If I still get the same answer then maybe I'll just leave them in SS even though that's not really what I would like

I'm also curious what would happen with an aftermarket exhaust if I brought it into the dealership for service. Would they say anything? Is this something that would void the factory 4 year 50k mile warranty like a software/tune would?

I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff since I've always done strictly visual MOD's only.
Appreciate 0