View Single Post
      03-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Put it on a dyno or it's just hearsay. The only difference between comfort and sport (stock) modes is throttle mapping. I can get more "power" out of my car just by pressing harder with my right foot.

Partial throttle driving with seat of the pants feedback is not an indicator of increased engine output. Any real gains are going to be at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) where maximum boost and output are realized.

Most of these simple tuner boxes modify signals (usually boost on a turbo engine) to the engineer computer. They reduce the boost signal to force the factory computer to produce more boost as it attempts to hit the maximum factory spec. Addition fuel and spark control are left up to the stock software to compensate for based on the existing feedback control systems. These mods assume the factory controls and fuel injectors can keep up with the increased demand due to the additional boost. If they can you get more power, if they cannot you get trouble.

I sincerely hope it's the former, but without before and after dyno results there's no way to be sure.

One test you could perform is taking a unbiased passenger along for a few 'before and after' timed runs from say 20mph, while passing a fixed marker, to another point at least 1/4 mile away - at WOT. Use an accurate stopwatch and have the passenger time the run from point A to point B. When you pass point A at 20mph, floor it. Let the car shift automatically. Don't get arrested. This will take launch out of the equation. Any significant reduction in time can be attributed to more WOT power as long as you do all your runs at basically the same climatic and road conditions. How MUCH more power could be calculated from the results, but a dynamometer run would be more accurate.

I am fairly certain the N63Tu develops more boost from the factory. If the TMC unit is simply "subtracting" 1 or 2 PSI from the signal, in theory you would get a similar total increase on top of the 445hp. However, now you're really asking the factory software and fuel system to do a lot more than it was originally programmed for.

In any case, good luck.
Appreciate 0