09-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
I'd guess that the cost of the film for the front would be similar to the cost of a front end respray. Don't underestimate the cost of the bonnet, it's huge!

But :

- Without the film you'll get stone chips from day 1, you'll have to live with them until you get the respray.
- The film is guaranteed for 4 years against penetration. For me, I need a front end respray every 30,000 miles which is about 2 years. So the film becomes cheaper as soon as you've had the front end done.
- With modern water based paints, the quality of a respray is never the same as the factory paint. Even if it's perfect to start with, it's softer and will scratch and chip even more then the original paint.
- As the film is self healing for minor scratches, keeping the car looking good is a doddle, you don't need to worry about grit in your wash mitt scratching the paint or that bird shit will eat into the lacquer.

The down sides are that the edges of film are visible, they can catch the light, and there is a very, very slight texture to the surface of the film (it's no where near as bad as some BMW factory paint orange peel that I've seen).

I'd recommend a trip to paint shield in Peterborough, won't cost you anything except a bit of time and petrol, then you can make an informed decision.
Good point and it's not that far for me.
Appreciate 0