05-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Me Waffling on (Long Version):

The ultimate ideal is you buy coilovers, but naturally a decent set of coilovers is a large outlay (from memory the MX5 ones are around £1500-£3000 (penske are available for the MX5 ), KW do a set for the 6GC they are about £2500-£3000). The main reason being you get better "matched" spring rates and the rebound from the shock absorber (within reason and depending on the level of adjustment), as it was designed all at the same time.

A similar thing can be done by buying new shock absorber to go with the springs (I did this on the MX5 "upgrading" the standard "black" Hitachi shocks to the Bilstein versions seen on the sport versions (although a shortened version to make it a little lower, but the shock and spring were specced together so a similar result as the coilover, just without the adjustable nature)). I find coilovers a bit of compromise as if you "increase" or "decrease" the ride height you change the geo of the car, so the only "real" reason is the firmness of the damping going on (soft front, hard rear etc.)

The "cheapest" way is you change just the spring, main reason for doing it...looks more than anything else.

Technically, the shock will be less suited to the new spring as it was designed to go with the longer spring by the OEM. In many cases most aftermarket ones increase the spring rate to compensate, but that of course brings issues around ride etc. and in some cases of course brings issues of bump stops etc.

The other problem with lowering a car is actually increased body roll....but lets not get into that!

Blame my MX5 for all of this and it being on a Hunter machine every 6-8 months.... (do not forget in most cases it is worth having an alignment done after lowering, a thing easily forgotten by many ).

Short Version:

All comes down to cost (££££).

NB: Before I get tempted I am banned from lowering our GC....
Thanks, but then if we 6er owners were to change to something like the KW, we will loose the electronic damping control and although coilovers are adjustable, I will be stuck to one suspension setting for all different ride modes (comfort/sport/sport+) right?
Appreciate 0