06-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
My only problem with the HUD, I will note from the M5 I rented last fall, is that it uses polarization techniques that are apparently screwed with by my sunglasses. So it is difficult to read with some sunglasses. Has anybody else had this problem? Or maybe it's an artifact of my aggressive colorblindness (which is also in play inside my defective head) when together with sunglasses....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
The problem is that polarized sunglasses hide the HUD image, so you need to use non-polarized glasses, which are difficult to find. I was at the 7-series preview, and raised this issue, and it seems to still be a problem.
You don't have to use non-polarized glasses. The problem is with the orientation of your glasses vs. that of the polarization of the display. They are canceling each other out. It is possible to have them work together to allow that light through.

I have had this problem with several polarized devices on a couple of cars - the main display panel and the heads up were the main offenders. I think I first discovered this while filling up at a gas station and trying to see the LCD display on the pump. While looking at the display I tilted my head a little as I reached to put the nozzle up and the display suddenly became very clear. It was either that or when I had to slightly tilt my head (can't remember why) reaching for something in the car and discovered that rotating the glasses brought my sunglasses' polarization into alignment with the polarization of the main display and I could clearly see it.

Try tilting your head while looking at the display you are trying to see. If you don't see any improvement, remove your glasses and rotate them just in front of an eye. You should see that the display is easily visible when they are oriented one way but when rotated about 90 degrees from that orientation the display all but disappears.
When I got some new sunglasses the guy who made them was able to cut the lens so that when my head was in a normal position the two worked together (instead of competing and canceling out the light) and I was able to clearly see the display.

I realize a new set of lens for your sunglasses can be kind of expensive (especially if you use glass lens) but I think polarized ones are essential, around here anyway. Under certain conditions they really improve visibility a great deal. I'd have new lens cut for my glasses in a heartbeat to have the display panel and heads up working without having to contort y head to see them. All you have to do is take a piece of the lens material out to your car and rotate it until the problem device looks the best. Then keep it in that orientation so the glasses guy can cut the lens to have that orientation. They might be able to do it based on you determining which orientation works with your current glasses. This worked for me - I have no trouble at all.

Last edited by chask; 06-04-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0