04-08-2024, 10:25 PM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Thanks for the input and let me respond to a few.

1) I am also contemplating putting a heat wrap on the turbos and forgot to mention that. There just seems to be so many varying opinions on that though. Some say it will damage the turbos and even hinder the engine cooling down because the heat wraps are then trapping the heat inside?

2) It would seem removing the engine cover would be a good thing but I did read where someone, apparently quite knowledgeable, stated not to. He provided infrared images of the engine bay and stated the engine cover is used to direct air flow and you'd be doing more harm than good by removing it.

So, nobody has installed any cooling fans and what about turbo blankets? I won't be wrapping or coating the down pipes.

Ralph
Short of you doing track days and racing I've no idea what the actual point of installing auxiliary fans and cooling items under the bonnet will do for you. BMW have engineered the car to operate perfectly in most normal climates with the cooling system it has on it.
With respect to WWC, I wouldn't remove the engine shroud and top cover as this provides a barrier to heat soak to the bonnet. Heatsoak 'may cause' damage over time to the finish of the bonnet.... i stress may ....
I live in Sydney Australia and while i don't drive my 650 daily or even weekly i do drive it regardless of the weather conditions outside. So that can be anything from fry an egg hot or rainy cold and miserable.... I've never ever had any issue with the car in hot weather re-starting or performing as it should.
I honestly have no idea why you are intent on installing all this extra cooling palaver under bonnet if you are using the car as intended.
True it gets very hot under there but probably no more no less than most other large force fed induction motors.
If you are that worried the easiest and most effective way to dissipate the heat after you go for a drive is park it with the bonnet open for 10 minutes... job done
Appreciate 0