View Single Post
      06-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #261
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travissimpson View Post
The 2012 4.4 liter v8 is called the N63 engine. That engine has an available CCP (customer care package) available if you take it in to BMW. It has some known problems with longevity, this the care package. In 2013 they updated the engine to be called the N63TU, the TU stands for technical update. This engine has the known issue where cylinder 6 and 3 fail on long drives. According to BMW engineers, there is no known fix. This engine will experience this failure in all models, the 6 series, 5 series, 7 series X5 and X6. In 2013 BMW became aware of the issue, it could happen just a few minutes after startup. Instead of placing a recall, they came up with a computer update and flashed the ECU. Instead of it happening in short distances, it now only happens after or during long drives. Since most owners don't drive in excess of a few hundred miles a day, they will not experience it. However, take a drive across the country and you will likely have both cylinders fail. I wish more people would bring this to BMW's attention, along with the NHTSA - so an appropriate recall can be done. BMW knowingly sells this motor and is fully aware of this defect. I am not sure if the N63 also has it...it doesn't matter if it has AWD or just rear wheel drive. My car is Xdrive.....
Do you know by chance if S63tu is suffering from the same issue?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 1