05-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Did you ever use the launch control as well before replacing the clutch ? . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@trinityautosport View Post

I used it maybe 5x since I've owned the car. . . .
I still have not tried to use LC on mine. After seeing some posts here about it I looked up the procedure once and thought about trying it. I didn't t the time because i wanted to put some more miles on it - nothing for longevity like breaking it in right and making sure everything has been properly seated. Right now I'd have to check again to be sure how to do it. I think I remember but I've had so much going on and it's been long enough that I'm not absolutely sure how to do it - boy, getting old is sure the pits. When I was young - break in service at 1200 miles, first LC would have happened before 1201. And probably 4 more times before 1202.

To be honest, I kind of wonder what the point is. I've read guys who drag race say that they have trouble getting their tires to hook up, and that's even with larger than stock race tires on the car. I think one guy who is particularly fast in the quarter said he had better launches by feathering the throttle a bit and had stopped using LC. I guess what has kept me was my tires already spin without WOT just trying to get out in traffic. I'd hate to think what they would do if I actually was trying to go really fast. I guess I'll have to try it out to see what it's all about and what I have been missing.

Quote:
. . . Also how many miles did you get out of the factory clutch ? . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@trinityautosport View Post

. . .
I used it maybe 5x since I've owned the car. I got 20k out of the clutch...well I bought the car with 13k miles and put 7k hard miles on it and it went out.
Whoa! Just 5 times. Those 7k must have been really hard miles. I don't know what the warranty policy is with second owners but I would have thought a car with only 20k on it would still be under warranty. Did you just want to have a beefier clutch than stock?

Quote:
Great write up and pictures.
+1 many times over!!!!!!

Personally I think you ought to get some kind of reward for this post. Definitely one of the best I've read. And I loved all the photos too.
Great job! And thank you again! I can't wait to hear how this works out.
Appreciate 0