MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS View Post
Yes, BMW doesn't charge anything for the extras

Besides, I actually went through "build your own" of each site and the Porsche comes out $2-3K more. Hardly significant when buying a $120K car. I would be more than willing to pay $2-3K more for Porsche's quality over any BMW.

I'm not so sure that's the case. Let's see:

Both are high performance 2 door cars, both have two rear seats inappropriate for adults on trips longer than your neighborhood supermarket, equally optioned will cost around the same, both have daily driver usability, beautifully finished interiors, 0-60 times are pretty much identical, and more importantly, the target customer is the same: 45+ year old man.

Also, contrary to all the car magazine's beliefs, not every 45+ year old man plays golf and needs to carry 2 sets of clubs everywhere he goes. If he does, then I might understand why he chooses the M6.

This 45+ year old man is either divorced or has kids old enough to drive their own car (undoubtedly gifted by his/her wealthy dad to keep him/her away of his 911/M6), so the argument about the smaller rear seats on the Porsche is not enough to be a deciding factor. If this 45+ year old man does have small children and/or needs to use the rear seats often, he wouldn't be buying either the 911 or the M6. That's what the M5 is for.

When it does become an apple and oranges situation is when you compare the handling, overall performance and driver involvement that each one provide. The morbidly obese M6 doesn't stand a chance against the 911 in any of those areas.
I don't think that just because they are both coupes, have 4 seats (in the BMW at least) and costs the same puts them in the same basket.

Of course the 911 is more of a drivers car and handles better. But I could take three buddies and our luggage in extreem comfort to the Ring, drive the **** out of it and then cruise back the 1000miles to my hometown in Sweden in the M6.

I wouldn't even be able to imagine trying to get two adults in to the back seat of the 911.. let alone fit four bags in the trunk.

They are worlds apart and neither Porsche or BMW built them to compete with each other.
Appreciate 0