View Single Post
      03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Question Front Rotors Warping after only about 3500 miles!

I picked up my 2013 M6 Convertible at the PDC last November. I drove it back to Milwaukee from the PDC (1200 miles) and then took a couple of trips down to Chicago so IND could do an exhaust and black out some of the chrome (180 miles/trip)

So last week, I pulled her out of the garage for a road trip which took me down to Atlanta, up to DC, and then back to the Milwaukee area. All said and done, I think the car now has only about 3500 miles on it.

On the drive from Atlanta to DC I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel under moderate braking. The vibration is textbook for warped rotors. I scheduled an appointment with my service center and they confirmed that both front rotors were "out of round". (I suspect they mean warped...) In any case, they agreed to replace the rotors and pads under warranty...

I don't abuse my car and these last trips were all highway miles with very little brake use so I'm concerned there may be some systematic problem which could be causing this. I know that our vehicles close the gap between the pads and rotors when it is raining to keep them dry, but this would be a major issue if it damages the rotors. (It was raining for half my tip down to Atlanta).

Does anyone have any insight? I'm happy the dealer is covering this under warranty, but I don't want to be back in the shop in another 3500 miles...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0