02-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #70
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
yes its actually a big scam ofcourse. Real world consumption of the nonM N63 has shown similiar results where they return no better results than the NA V8. And stories from those that own the x m trucks tell of horror consumption, so there is no reason to believe that the ttv8 will result in any better consumption when driven the same way that you would with the mighty S85.

This decision was about politics and marketing, and BMW has now gotten to charge a premium for an engine that is shared between so many car lines, they get scale and we get shafted of what once made ///M what it really was all about, motorsport and NA power...but the story is over, atleast in this chapter of the book, the greenies won out and now ALL BMWs are turbo based, who could have imagined it
I completely agree.

Yes, on the specification sheet you will read how much more fuel efficient the new S63 engine is and their estimated 30% fuel saving over the S85 but in the real world driving tests I would be very surprised if this were completely true.

I for one will never buy a turbo M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Time will certainly tell on this, but I cant see this new model surpassing the e63 M6 in terms of total sales. Im sorry but you have to understand how few of these cars have actually been sold. In the 2008 model year which I believe was the highpoint for sales, there was something like 1100 M6 coupes sold world wide! This is a low volume car to begin with, and the S85 made the car desirable. If you dont believe that people bought the car specifically to own a BMW V10, I would think you are mistaken. It is what gave it the special something that the new engine will never be able to recreate. And with a 20%+ increase in price relative to the models, you bring the car into another segment which much more competition.
Yes, I too believe that the S85 engine was really the standout defining feature of the E60 series. That engine MADE the car for so many buyers. Now with the new 1M, X5M/X6M, M5/M6 I don't feel the desire to upgrade and even more so I feel put off the whole BMW range if I had to choose something new today that I would be looking elsewhere if not for the current M3. When that model is replaced it will be a disappointing day for many BMW M enthusiasts.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0