07-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Looks are subjective - a lot of people actually like the look of the E93 with the top up. It is far from universally derided, unlike the Bangle-butt on the current E63, for example. I actually prefer the notchback look to the E92 fastback look myself. It looks more aggressive to me. To each his own.

The Infiniti G37 is another four-place convertible with a pretty successful hard-top execution. There are some real stinkers out there too (lookin' at you Lexus IS) but it can be done with positive results.

I agree that the G37 looks pretty good, I passed one yesterday and didn't really process that it was a convertible until I was directly beside it. Of course neither G37 coupe or convertible have as much back seat space as the E92/E93. And the Lexus IS and the Fezza California both look terrible, we won't even mention the Lexus SC.

I really only find the E93 ungainly from direct angles, straight from the side or straight from behind, where it comes a little undone. To be fair, these aren't angles you generally see in the real world, more in pictures.

I don't really like the style of the E92 either, especially the very long rear overhang and the generally soft angles of the back third, so that might be part of it. I don't claim that everyone dislikes it, but I do think that most would agree the E46 convertible has at least a more traditional "convertible" look to it, and the folding hard top is a lot of the reason for that.

Again, I have no personal interest in the new 6er, but do think that the soft top fits it's character as a large, somewhat soft GT better than a folding hardtop would.
Appreciate 0