03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnz
You're not clear on what you mean by top-up. Do you mean an entire quart/liter? If so, 3 liters in 3000km is a problem. No engine should drink this much oil.

If you are simply trying to keep the oil meter at full by adding a little oil, then you are wasting your time. The engine will be fine between the OK marks. Just wait until the car indicates to add oil and it will take exactly one liter.

I just added my 2nd quart at 8900 miles. Drove into the dealer, dude poured in a quart, drove out. Engine runs the same.
Took it to the dealer after the "Add oil" control message came on. It was more than a liter this time. More like 2 liters before the gauge registered at the Max position.

Not sure yet whether it is a problem but the engine surely burns through an unusual amount of oil. Never had such an issue with my previous BMW's but this is my first V8. Again, not sure whether that has anything to do with it.

The engine no doubt felt smoother after topping up the oil. Might be part of the break-in process as indicated by ipsedixit earlier.
Appreciate 0