06-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
No, I'm with you, I don't like it either...

Makes it look like an old persons car to me. I don't care if other higher-end MFG's have rag tops, it makes the car look dated IMO, and its not even out yet, LOL.

A modern world should have modern convertibles, nothing classy about a cloth-top IMO.

I had a Suzuki Samurai back in my younger years, that POS top is about all I can think of when I see cloth or "rag" tops...
Just curious, but what four seat convertible isn't an "old person's car?" The very nature of the 6er, CLK/E-Cabriolet and similar cars is to be a relatively soft, cushy car, and the convertible versions by their very nature will be heavier and less sporty still.

Nothing looks worse than a huge, accordion style hard top, just look at the ungainly E93 lines to see what happens when you try to cover four seats with a bunch of folding metal or plastic. Two seaters can sort of pull off the folding hard top, but still tend to have a really high, unsightly beltline, like the Fezza California, SLK, etc. Only the current Z4 seems to be capably of pulling off the look without really tall rear fenders.
Appreciate 0