iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
The 650 GC is a much more fun and engaging car to drive than the 640 GC with its much stronger acceleration, and the engine/exhaust note is much more sport oriented.

I also doubt that the 650 will depreciate faster than the 640. If anything, it should depreciate at a slower rate. People who are in the market for these type of cars, which are relatively rare, understand the differences between the turbocharged inline 6 and the twin turbo V8 and want the feel, power and sound one gets from a high performance BMW.
You are so right. I test drove a 640 and it was a dog in my opinion. The power of the 650's V8 is what this very heavy car needs. Love my 2017 650.
That is so interesting!
My experience was that 650 over 640 added absolutely nothing other than potentially more reliability problems and worse mpg. I didn't notice the major sound difference as i barely heard both of them. Figured I would have to mod it either way. My 640 with m6 mufflers sounds perfectly :-)
Power difference is definitely there, but to me nothing I would miss on a daily basis. My logic is that i6 engines are really BMW's specialty. V8s, as tempting as they sound, are low volume for BMW and if I wanted a V8, I would rather get an American Muscle. Plus, extra room in the engine compartment with an i6 helps in the dessert heat.
Great thing however is that BMW gave us choice so that we can all enjoy an amazing car that is a 6er!
Appreciate 0