View Single Post
      04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Dealer made me a deal I could not refuse. Really wanted a 2015 - but when I add in the must have options (that I don't have on my 2014) of Tanzanite Blue, Piano Black Trim, Adaptive Drive, ACC stop and go cruise, and active front seats (never ever used them in my X6, but my legs are giving me a hard time of late and this damn option now is amazing), I realized that I was looking at almost $300 more per month for the 2015 (the lower residual of the 2015 did not help either).

There are plenty of wow, that kind of sucks, with this car:
Drivetrain lag upon take off (does not exist in sport mode, but dash looks silly in this mode)
Video game dash (I much prefer the 2013 version but hate the chrome around the windows in the 2013).
No passenger side grab handle (same as my X6 - seriously BMW?)
Three (3) turns to lock on the steering vs. two (2) on my X6 (to be fair, my X6 had Active steering).
Over 16 feet long - wow, two people in the last 4 hours have said "that is one long car"
Soft Close doors - was so excited for this option and yet it is worthless (albeit free) with the frame-less windows that inch down when opening/closing.
The brakes seem to not be quite there - I hope they are just settling in and will get better. Had to do one somewhat hard stop and was surprised at the lack of deceleration.
No fold-down seats was a bit of a let down (although not unexpected)
HATE the fact that BMW moved the audio controls to the right side of the steering wheel. Will never understand this decision either.
Also miss the next track up/down on the steering wheel. I realize you can do this with the new roller switch but it is more work and less intuitive.
If you are going to do a roller switch on the steering wheel, make it for the volume- that makes so much more sense.
The 20" wheels provide what I call, a jarring ride. I was planning on ditching the run-flats at the end of summer - now I will be lucky to make it to the end of April.

However...
Imola Red is a stunning color. My 2nd choice after the special order Tanzanite.
The interior is better than anything I have been in recently and just crushes Audi.
The steering is perfectly weighted and I suspect I will get used to the non-active part. It feels perfect.
The car is FAST, REALLY FAST - once it gets going.
The exhaust sounds great. I was worried this would be weak from what I hear about the M5 having sound piped in. The X6 still crushes it, but I'm glad there is enough sound to know you have a V8.
The B&O stereo is amazing! Was not blown away by this stereo in my test drives and/or in my friends 550xi. But wow, it is amazing.
The 20" wheels may ride like crap, but they do look sweet.

Honestly, I have not driven a car I liked more (fortunately I did not drive the 2013 M5 in stick a dealer had). So I'm still happy with my decision. But deep down, I wish someone made a car I really loved. That might be the 435xi GC - but that car is 6 months away. So for now, I'm in the club
Welcome aboard, Doug!! The new toy is going to bring you many smiles in the near future. Enjoy that thing in good health. It definitely looks stunning in red.

One thing you said that I have agreed with since I had my GC that seemed like a step backwards coming out of the X6, was the audio controls on the steering wheel. You are absolutely right that the roller wheel should have been designated as the volume control and the up/down arrows used for track selection.

Either way, you will find that the new car will be a blast to drive... once you take her out of the Chi-Town metro area at least... lol