View Single Post
      02-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #69
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
While wet dream comments on message boards and youtube are fun to read, they do not translate into sales. At the end of the day, the ultimate test will be sales. As a former M6 owner/lessee, currently in the market for a replacement for an SL, my opinion of the new car, after giving it some consideration, is that BMW erred in dropping the NA V10 in favor of the TT V8. Combined with other important factors, it may prove to be tough to sell these in any significant numbers. Will be interesting to see in some years down the road what the total sales numbers will be for the new model cars compared to the E63. Time will tell.

Quote:
Time will certainly tell on this, but I cant see this new model surpassing the e63 M6 in terms of total sales. Im sorry but you have to understand how few of these cars have actually been sold. In the 2008 model year which I believe was the highpoint for sales, there was something like 1100 M6 coupes sold world wide! This is a low volume car to begin with, and the S85 made the car desirable. If you dont believe that people bought the car specifically to own a BMW V10, I would think you are mistaken. It is what gave it the special something that the new engine will never be able to recreate. And with a 20%+ increase in price relative to the models, you bring the car into another segment which much more competition.

You see, in the e63, fully loaded and out the door(incl taxes) you were already over $120K, even in the rought times when you could have negotated $10K off, one still payed well over $100K for the loaded car. And in this realm, it was nearly by itself in that you can get an exclusive car with a V10, no one else in the world had a car speced or priced close to it.

Now bring that to $140K-$150K in the new model, even if you get to the point where you can knock off $10K, you're still in the serious money realm where there are a number of other options for near supercars. This M6 will have alot more competition, and I dont see it winning because I do believe there is a glass ceiling when we're speaking about the BMW purchaser. I dont think a person buying $130K+ cars is necssarily a person that looks towards BMW, a company that also sells $30K cars. I think it has alot to do with status in this realm, and in all reality, only a very very few enthusiasts in the world would ever know that my M6 was so expensive, let alone that the new one would cost perhaps 140K+, and I think that many people that buy cars in this realm do it as status and want people to know the car that they are driving is very expensive.

to add to what's already been said, the overwhelming majority of the E63 M6 cars that did get retailed, weren't even sold to the end user. They were sold to BMWFS at, what turned out to be ridiculously inflated residual values and heavily subsidized rates. By the end of 2007, dealers were so desperate to rid themselves of the inventory, BMW had double digit rebates on the car. Of course, at the end of lease, each of those 2007/2008 originations were a huge money loser, by way of having a car come back with stratosperic residual values (72% of 115000 ) while the used car market had other ideas (48k anyone?)

I have no doubt that this movie will play out in style again. After an initial 'hold it steady' puffery, there will be a massive lease subsidy in place to move these. If you keep your powder dry and eyes opened for lease specials, you may just end up with one of these for about 1k/mo, which is where they belong in the first place.
Appreciate 0