M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM6 View Post
Hi All

I think I have posted the issue on the forum before.
My car, 13 plate, 16000 miles only has been prompting oil refill messages since ive bought the car ( feb 2016) every 300-350 miles.

The dealer is doing nothing about it, BMW standard service guideline indicates a litre of oil consumed every 600 as normal.

This is excessive.

I have also noticed yesterday some excessive burnt oil/carbon build up on the tailpipes, the edges look like burnt coal.

Someone behind me on the road the other evening also noticed blue smoke out the tailpipes which I later couldn't replicate.
In neutral while accelerating moderately/heavy I did notice smatter of smoke.

A friend has suggested it could be turbo related, if the seals are broken the oil can seep through the waste gate, hence the high consumption.

Can anyone here share their expertise?

Regards
1) Which dealer are you using ?

2) Have they declined to carry out an official oil consumption test (or something similar to this) ? I presume not.

3) What is the exact brand / type of oil are you refilling with ? Does it always request 1 Litre to be added ?

If you drive hard then let the car slow down in gear and then floor the throttle and accelerate hard and you see quite a bit of smoke out the back, or someone following can confirm, then it could be piston ring issues allowing excessive 'blow by'. It could also indicate a faulty / clogged crankcase ventilation system causing crank case gases to be sucked back into inlet manifold and burning off rather than returning to the sump. I think the S63TU set up is like this....

Or it could be turbo seals but not sure on this.

I believe the BMW guideline MAX consumption is 1000 KM per Litre equating to circa 416 Miles per Litre. If you can prove that you are consuming more and the car is still under the factory warranty, in theory they should fit a new engine for you free of charge.

I think I spoke to you about this before. I am quite surprised by the attitude of your dealer. Did you buy the car as a BMW AUC ?