master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmb View Post
Well, a few nights ago I was traveling on the interstate around highway speeds in the far right lane getting ready for my exit. Came up behind a couple slow pokes, so it was time to pass - accelerated hard (but not to kickdown), car dropped a gear and made the pass in a couple seconds. Of course, at that point I'm going faster and taking my exit, which is a sharp cloverleaf... start braking and pedal is a rock, look down and my tach shows zero... [insert various obscenities and pant stains here]. I stand on the brakes, muscle the steering with both arms and manage to make the curve by using all of the paved lane, the paved shoulder and a touch of the edge. Coast out and find a wide shoulder to get off the highway and calm my racing heart

Car wouldn't turn over and had to be towed - fast forward a few days. Dealer diagnoses a seized engine, with metal shavings in the oil pan/filter... says I need a new engine. Fortunately, I made the decision last summer to buy the extended warranty/service contract from BMW as my base warranty was running out... SA states that they've already received approval from BMW NA to order and install a new engine (said the engine part alone costs over $30K). So, very happy that I didn't wreck and will get a new engine for my baby at no cost.

Of course, I questioned the SA hard about why the engine blew but he doesn't have any answers for me yet. As a quick recap, I bought the '14 M6 vert with every option from an audi dealer in Scottsdale... it was as 3 year old garage queen with only 13k miles which had been owned by an older guy and driven lightly on weekends (he had traded it in on a RS7 b/c he needed more room)

My m6 has no engine/performance mods at all - only an Akra cat-back exhaust and cosmetic mod's. My driving profile is moderate - I daily drive 50+ miles in Atlanta traffic, so 90% of the time I keep all the settings in comfort and drive relaxed, with occasional acceleration bursts to get around slow-pokes sitting in the fast lane. On weekends I engage in spirited driving on back roads once in a while and drive a little fast at highway speeds in the rare case when traffic is light.

I've driven the m6 25k miles over the past 1.5 years since purchase. I'm religious about doubling up oil changes by having my indy do an "extra" oil change every 5k-6k miles (in b/n the bmw oil change intervals). Also OCD about not moving until after the engine start "idle-up" has dropped down to normal idle, and make sure to keep my rpms below 3k until after the engine is fully up to normal operating temps - have never launched it from a standing start and hardly ever floor it to kickdown.

Will hopefully get some more info from my SA about root cause after the engine is pulled and will keep this group posted. I'm quite troubled that a stock m6 blows the engine at 38k miles when driven consistent with normal operating parameters...

Just wondering was the car low on oil? Does your old engine burn oil between oil change? I always check my oil before I drive it because of these stories.
Not low on oil at all. In fact given posners postings in excessive oil consumption I've asked my Indy every tine I've gotten it changed (4 times over 25k miles) to see if it was low at all before changing. Every tine GE said no - didn't burn a drop. I've never gotten a low oil warning in 1.5 years and 25k mikes.
Appreciate 0