06-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Did you get a launch control initiation count prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Was there any way to catch this problem prior to your purchase from Scottsdale?

And finally, prior to getting the extended warranty, did the dealership not do a thorough inspection of the vehicle to ensure they're risk was covered?
I know my post was long so maybe you missed it, but I bought the car 18 months ago and put 25,000 miles on it since purchase. When I bought it I did my diligence, got it inspected, reviewed all the service records, confirmed the early M service had been done, confirmed that it was eligible for extended warranty from BMW NA (it still had about 9 months left on the original base BMW warranty when I bought it), and reviewed the clean Carfax. The original owner had just traded it into the Penske-owned Audi dealership in North Scottsdale (reputable dealer in high-end local), but I also did some additional investigative searches to confirm the story the dealer told me (original owner loaded, 69 years old, retired, had special ordered the car and checked every option box). The car only had 13,000 miles put on it over 3 years and had been garaged. It was also 100% stock and had never been modded. Given these circumstances, I did not attempt to try to find out if it had ever been launched or read the "launch counter."

I don't believe there was any evidence of any problems when I purchased the car. I did get the oil changed 4 times and now I'm wishing I had been getting Blackstone oil analysis done at each change to see if there were any indicators of problems. I will probably do that with my new engine.

I bought the extended warranty from BMW a few weeks before the original 4 year warranty ran out (about 10 months ago). BMW does not require an inspection when you purchase an extended warranty from them, but they do review their own service records to confirm the early service for M cars (if required) and generally review for other appropriate servicing. BMW also requires that you purchase the extended warranty before the coverage on the original base warranty expires, so that eliminates allot of the problems faced by aftermarket warranty companies where customers identify problems later, then decide to try to buy warranties (thus inspections and waiting period requirements to have coverage).

I'm open to any other ideas on things I could have done, as this experience was a bit of a shock. Feel free to chime in with any other questions or thoughts.
Appreciate 0