doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, I test drove the 650xi GC today...

First impressions:

1. It's clearly not as nimble as my 550xi.

2. Throttle response - I drive my 550xi in comfort mode 90% of the time - other 10% in sport. In comfort, the 650xi felt much more sluggish to respond. I know it's a few hundred pounds heavier, but I feel like the throttle tuning must be different? It was very noticeably slower to respond. I had to mash it more to get it to move. Even then, I'm not sure it was as quick.

3. The interior is very nice. The leather, and in all places it exists, is a NICE upgrade from the 550xi. It's softer, more supple feeling, and just overall looks nicer and higher quality.

4. Seating position and seats - the seating position is considerably lower if you adjust the seat to its lowest position (which I did as I'm tall). In that position, I feel like I'm much lower than the 5's lowest position. Then again, I also felt like I could hardly judge the corners of the car. The seats were also noticeably harder - something I'd expect from a sportier car, but still very acceptable.

Overall, I'm not sure I can justify the move. I'm disappointed that the 5 feels more nimble and quick, yet the 6 LOOKS more nimble and quick. I would gladly give up a bit of seat comfort, deal with the longer dimensions, and even suck up the higher price... but I'm not sure I like the way the car drove. Don't get me wrong - it felt plenty capable, but I'm just surprised the 5 felt more light on its feet and responsive.

The flip side to that was that the 6GC feels a bit more planted. The 5 is a very stable cruiser on the highway, but the 6GC took it to a higher level. As I said above, it also adds a notch in refinement with nicer leather finishes and appointments. Other than that, the equipment is pretty much on par from car to car.
Exactly
Appreciate 0