View Single Post
      06-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #1
Lcssmu
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

2014 S63TU M6 Engine Replacement Experience

Hello All- I recently posted about my "worst nightmare" of the rod bearings failing on my 2014 M6 with 37k miles. I wanted to post this thread just because it may be helpful to someone else in the future- it was this forum by which I found RK Autowerks.

Quick recap- despite full and regular maintenance and a recent oil change, the engine seized without warning. BMW dealership quoted me $49k to replace the engine (I paid $40k for the car). After a lot of online searching it became clear that a company named RK Autowerks in Texas has become the "go to" shop for replacement S63TU engines (M6/M5).

While you can have them send you the new engine (you ship back your old block)- I elected instead to ship my car to their shop. I was told that it would take around six weeks, but I think they had a cancellation or something as the car was ready in only two weeks.

I'm not very mechanical so forgive any mistakes here- but my understanding is that they usually use a refurbished block and then install all new OEM BMW parts. In my case, I was told they just used a brand new block. Their scope of work includes a long list of things- but basically you end up with a new engine. In addition, they use the updated version of the rod bearings and valve seals to make sure you don't have the same issue twice.

In my case, they also did an "Ignition Package" which included spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, and decoupling element. Finally, they installed a new engine crank.

Total cost (which is publicly listed on their website as of 6/25/23) was $16,899- so about 1/3 of what BMW wanted as their starting price.

I picked the car up personally and drove it back to Denver (750 miles). Per RK orders, I've taken it easy on the car for the first 1,000 miles. I'm going to have the oil changed this week, after which I will drive it normally.

Again- I've personally had a great experience with RK and would recommend them to anyone with the same nightmare that I faced.
Appreciate 5