United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
It will only stop if there's another car. It doesn't read traffic lights.
Sorry let me clarify...there were cars ahead of me stopping at the light just the distance was quite a bit. Anyway I didn't think the car would stop so I did so on my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
That could have been ugly!!
Yeah I think so but I was watching the system to make sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I have the ACC with Stop&Go on my current 5-series, and I agree it's a bit "iffy" at times. I've used it many times on the highway, but I'd not try it in any other circumstance. On the highway it'll work well if there are "reasonable" acceleration and deceleration events going on - but if people slam on their brakes or accelerate quickly in front of you, it becomes unpredictable. But I can say, under normal braking of cars in front on the highway, it WILL bring the car to a complete stop and then go again (if under 3 seconds of stop-time) on its own. What it won't do is emergency brake - I believe I read the system can only apply a subset of the car's full stopping power, so it's possible to get the collision warning system flashing at you while it's attempting to brake, and you WILL need to manually intervene to keep from becoming a permanent piece of the car in front of you.

The car I'll be test driving next week unfortunately doesn't have DHP as my 5 does - I'm a bit concerned it may impact my perception of the car as I truly didn't like the 550xi without DHP - it only had the "standard" suspension (no sport suspension even with M Sport on the xDrive 5's) - is this the same for the 6's?
Yeah I noticed that too. In stop and go highway traffic it slowed down to a stop and then started on its own about 2-3 times for a few miles. Then when the car accelerated in front of me beyond a certain distance it seemed not to know what to do and wouldn't keep the interval I wanted. I set the speed say at 70 and it would keep distance but seemed to want to slow back to 65 mph which was the posted speed readout in the display. That seemed weird as I don't think I need BMW telling me I over the limit and adjusting it for me. But I'll read more and my fix is really not to use the system if its that finicky. No problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
So I returned from my trip and took my friends 550xi home from the airport. On the downside, that glove box door is a piece of crap - can't believe they put a door like that in a $70K car. I also REALLY miss my leather dash and Nappa seats. My 650GC feels so much more luxurious. Oh and the exhaust - the 550xi does not compare to the 650GC in terms of exhaust note (I'm not even sure the 550 has an exhaust note). Oh and I hate the auto trunk - I'm always waiting for it - can't believe I'm saying it, but I like the manual operation of the 650 more.

However..
Man his 550xi feels FAST and nimble. He has the M-Sport package but nothing else and I seem to remember that with the AWD on the 550 that means nothing. I called my friend on the way home and said "Your car feels so much faster than mine" and he totally agreed. It also feels much more nimble. The 650GC xi weighs about 175 lbs more and is a lot longer, but to me, the 550xi feels about 500 lbs lighter.

On that note...I've always thought my 650 felt a little doggy and really needed to be run in sport mode. Upon mentioning this to my friend (before we traded cars) he said his car was not like that. Now I understand why. In regular comfort mode his car feels faster and lighter than my car in sport mode.

And regarding the steering - they seem very similar now that my car does not have run-flats. Prior to the switch to the Conti DWS, my steering felt tighter than his.

We have agreed to keep the trade going for a while longer. He did comment how much he is enjoying my car - so I need to dig into that a little more. I think he is just in love with the looks.
Hmm my 550i was faster than my 650i and a lot more nimble too but that was only after quite a few mods [it was a Dinan modded car]. Acceleration in the 650ix isn't bad at all just needs a tune to get the full responsiveness I am used to. Cornering is about as good as the 550i; actually better and more sporty I think...but need more driving to confirm it. I think the biggest thing you do notice is the length...it is longer and enough so that I just notice when I park it sometimes and in tighter circumstances where I would more easily maneuver my 550i. But I am aware of this aspect so am getting used to it and watch things to ensure I don't have any issues.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0