Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well, I finally got the M6 on track to stretch it's legs a bit and see what it could do.

Track day at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire, probably not the ideal track for such a big heavy bus as it's rather narrow and twisty, but bloody good fun!

I videoed 2 sessions, the two last out. Unfortunately we were let out of the pits in sequence and I was behind a reasonably rapid (but slower than me, especially on the straits!) 335i touring which did not seem to have listened to the briefing about overtaking. The first of the two I managed to get past, even though he did not invite me to do so, the second I was stuck behind him the entire session which was very frustrating. I tried backing right off for a lap, but I caught him up again pretty quickly.

The first of the two sessions I was relatively light on the brakes as I did not know how they would hold up, after seeing that they were fine, if rather hot (and popping off the front wheel centre caps with some considerable force!) the plan was to be harder on them in the last session. Unfortunately matey in the 335i rather spoilt that. Everything held up perfectly, everyone else I spoke to said that they had brake issues, mine held up fine! Very happy with the way she handled the day.

I ran the M-Laptimer app with gives you quite an interesting playback of the session, showing lap time and speed, fuel consumption, throttle, RPM, brake, steering angle and G force around the track. It also shows the trace of the vehicle location on the main monitor, which becomes a track layout diagram after the first lap, which I had on for the first video or the G force which I had on for the second session.

Here's a screen shot from my iPhone afterwards, you can play back the session too, but I don;t know how to grab a video of an iPhone screen without a mac!

Name:  IMG_0190.PNG
Views: 517
Size:  1.29 MB

This was the result on fuel consumption, the 24 is the long term average, which had come down quite a bit!

Name:  IMG_0189a.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  246.4 KB

Here are the videos, I'm not sure what the annoying clicking is, I could not hear it at the time so I assume it's the GoPro camera moving around in it's housing. Anyway, enjoy!

Appreciate 0