View Single Post
      12-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #57
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I certainly don't want to get in the middle of this, but point of order: C&D's top gear acceleration run, in cars with automatic transmissions, allow the tranny to downshift. They just floor it. In a true manual (3 pedals) they keep it in the highest gear even if it means lugging the engine. The point is to demonstrate passing power. With the DCT in the above chart, it must have been in auto mode.

Also, M6C, you mean a lower gear ratio in 2nd vs. 4th - higher number=lower ratio. And it's not complicated. The product of the transmission ratio and the final drive ratio is your ratio to the wheels. Certainly there are many other factors in deterring a car's acceleration: engine output, gearing, drivetrain efficiency, tire diameter, aerodynamics, traction, ambient conditions, etc.

Regardless, all these cars are fast and can get you into trouble real fast on public roads. And for those of us that drive them, we should be glad we can afford them and should give them the respect that they deserve.
Thanks for correcting me. I meant higher number (ie 3.14:1 vs 1.67:1). the point I was trying to make was to say the torque at wheel is higher in lower gear since the torque at wheel is the product of TQ(at crank)*gear ratio* axle ratio * (1- drivetrain loss)
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0