07-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The Quaife doesn't do any lock up on deceleration
Yes they do, but maybe not as much as an agressive ramped salisury LSD, so less noticeable. It's also (I think) impossible to adjust deceleration lockup in the design without affecting the acceleration lockup (which is it's primary goal).

Another big difference is that a salisbury clutch LSD always locks as long as throttle is applied (more throttle=more lock). The quaife only locks when one wheel cant put the power down. So the salisbury has a more tendency to oversteer when throttle is applied and the quaife more or less followes the balance on which the chassis/wheel geometry was designed. So like you said very much designed for cornering (as it constantly adjusts lockup to the need of the tyres, its a force balance) and maybe more driveable on a day to day basis, certainly more predictable in wet or treacherous conditions. But for drifting not the #1 choice.

But the quaife seems to do fine in the video (with me, drifting is more like facing the wrong way ), the thing it wont be as good at is like that car in front sliding the tail left and right on a straight piece of road. But that car is a purpose build driftcar judging by the steering angles and front geometry.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
1spirit204.50