Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambamOD View Post
Hi Xidamaaa,

Thank you for the photos of the process. Did you do the process by hand or with a machine? And if you used a machine can you share what brand and model you used?

Thank you!
I don't mean to interject but it all depends on what your goal is. I managed a detail business for 14 years, so buffed many thousands of vehicles, which would include headlight restoration. I always wet sanded the lenses by hand, btw.

1) If the headlight degradation is minor; your goal is to simply remove the failing upper layer of clear. So, you want to end with a very fine grit sandpaper around 2000 grit or so. You can then follow that with a compound/polish via buffer but be careful not to burn the lens. Machine buffing speeds the process up and removes the labor; otherwise you can buff it out by hand also. You're just making a correction in this instance. I made a quick DIY video HERE that may be helpful.

2) If the headlight degradation is major; your goal is to remove most if not all of the original clear, and then apply a new clear coat. Consequently, you want to end with a sandpaper around 600 grit or so. Otherwise, whatever the clear coat recommendations are. You don't want to end with a fine grit sandpaper such as above, because the clear most likely will not adhere properly. So, it may begin to flake off after a few years or less. You're performing a full restoration in this instance.

Good luck,
Ralph
Appreciate 0