View Single Post
      05-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #32
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
Those results say a lot more if you look closely. The S7 is AWD and of course it will be better at putting down the power from a standing start. The 5-60 0-100 0-130 and the 1/4 Mile trap speed numbers tell the real story and that is the S7 cannot come close to the M6. I was probably taking cars apart and rebuilding them before many of you got out of training wheels. The real world is not a drag strip, so 0-60 makes little difference when you are merging on to a highway or trying to pass when you road only allows you 1500 feet to do so. Out of the 39 BMW's I have owned over 20 of them were M cars. They were special once now not so much, the last one was the previous generation M6. My Dinan modified 650 is faster and more importantly handles better (I have the dinan shockware too). Where I live the high school parking lot is full of BMW's and they do not belong to the teachers. Never ceases to amaze me 17 year olds in 70K cars, but as you can imagine BMW is not going to get you much prestige (or even a spot in front of the restaurant) in this area. Aston, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche, or even Maserati. I have owned almost all of them (I bought 11 cars from my local dealer Algar Ferrari) and as many as 40 of some of those brands. Still have some of them tucked away in my garages, though they no longer bring me the thrill I used to get from them. My little bug (Fiat Abarth with lots of upgrades) gives me more thrills these days, I just like the look people give me when they see the old guy behind the wheel. What I am trying to say is that it took me awhile to realize I enjoyed owning these cars more than I enjoyed driving them because driving fast cars the way I have to (most roads I travel have a top speed limit of 40mph and are single lane) unless I am on the highway which mean I get go 75mph for a couple minutes here and there. What I have come to realize is that it is a ego thing some of us suffer from, we need to know our car is faster, even if we never use it to do much more than go to work and drive to the grocery store. When I finally got past that point in my life, I thought damn I could not believe how much money I spent on cars.
Prestige comes in various forms. There are people driving much cheaper cars than BMW's that feel prestigious. There will always be something "better" than what you have, the key is to appreciate and treasure what you do have.

My issue is that I get bored too fast and keep wanting to move on to the next best thing, instead of realizing how special the thing I currently have is. I envy the people that get a car and can treasure and appreciate it for 8-10 years, if not longer.
Appreciate 0