View Single Post
      04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Then what's the point? If it's hardly noticeable, why take the risk? It's your car so do as you please, but from my perspective BMW's ride and handling balance is beyond reproach (RFT notwithstanding). The way BMW can make a car this size dance around corners is simply amazing. Personally I would not mess with suspension geometry - especially in the name of questionable aesthetic enhancement. Moving the rotating mass outboard by even 5mm to 10mm can have profound effect on suspension and steering dynamics. If that's where the engineers wanted it, that's where it would be.

Just my 2 cents.
I hear you, and what you say makes sense. I was asking the OP if he actually had the spacers put on his car because from the pics, it doesn't look as if he did as of yet, even though he had the lowering springs put on. So I wanted to know if he did in fact have the spacers on, it just didn't seem like he did from his after pics.

As for the suspension and steering dynamics being altered due to cosmetic modifications, you made a good point. The 6501 GC is my 5th car I have ever purchased, and this is actually the first car I have not sized up some after market tires for. Maybe I am getting older, lol. The only car I did this mod to, that had the ride affected by the bigger wheels was my Honda Accord But one thing I always liked when I got new "shoes" for my cars was the wider stance and bigger diameter look of the after market wheels. Like you said, it have always been a personal preference of mine... as well as many others on the roads.

I wanted to know if the OP had any change to his driving experience after the mounting of the spacers if he actually had it done to his car. I really like the 650 now that I got used to it (after coming out of my X6) adjusting took some time, lol, but I think a wider stance would make the car look, well... just awesome, but like you said, I would not want to take away from the amazing drive this thing has just for aesthetic purposes. So if the OP had any information on this, asking for his feedback was the best way for me to either put the thought on the back burner, or pull the trigger and order some spacers!!

Either way, I give all BMW enthusiasts, and all driving enthusiasts as a whole a big thumbs up!!