View Single Post
      10-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #73
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeknhyde View Post
Thanks for posting this Palmnuts. Really like the look and colours you chose.
I'm deciding between the CP and non CP M6 convertible and wondered if you could help some more.

You mention that the ride difference on the 20" cp & non cp was no less comfortable even though the steering feedback had been amplified.

Was that in all settings and road conditions?
Other reviewers (Car & Driver) were quite scathing on the ride quality:Even with all the electronics dialed back to their Comfort and Efficiency modes, the firm ride and sharp responses made the exercise akin to walking a grizzly on a leash

I would be using the car in C London and as a comparison like the ride of my old M6 07 on 19". I was quite impressed with the new M6 on 20" though I found the ride firmer than the Bentley GTC [obviously] and Maserati GC but better than a 911 4S. Do you think the CP can cope with the rotten roads in London well given what you have said?

Of course I know this is very subjective as everyone has a different view of what constitutes an acceptable ride quality. Perhaps the best way to analyse it would be to discuss compliance to the larger road bumps as well as response to the low frequency stuff on our roads that rattles your head and eyes as you do the daily crawl in C London over v uneven roads.
I honestly don't know what those journalists at Car and Driver are referring to with their fairly inaccurate reviews of these cars (unless the US versions are substantially different, which I think not). I can only assume they have another agenda because quite simply, the C&D reviews on M5/6's are appalling and you have to question this when you contrast it to Evo (the M6 won it's group test when compared to the Merc CLS AMG and Maserati Granturismo S) and even Chris Harris who (admittedly slightly begrudgingly) put the M6 ahead of the new SL63 AMG. So, Evo and Chris Harris' reviews or...Car and Driver? I know which I'd trust more, especially on our side of the pond!

However, regardless of what anyone else says, I can definitely confirm that I can detect no trade-off in ride quality versus my previous non-CP version. This is on a variety of UK roads - motorways, B-roads and broken urban roads, including London. A couple of points to note though - I also had a previous shape M6 and whilst the Competition Pack doesn't seem any firmer than a non-CP F13, the F13 in general does ride firmer than you'll be used to in your E63 M6. But it's a lot less floaty and so much better controlled - in fact, I'd go as far as to say that the improved body control and almost total eradication of roll that the CP delivers makes it feel more comfortable, despite the firmer set-up.

It's probably at it's least capable going through the bigger undulations you'll find on a typical B-road where the sheer weight of the car can result in considerable body movement, although the dampers still do a fine job of bringing that movement under control quickly.

I have also owned a Maserati Granturismo and 911 Turbo, and the M6 easily rides as well as all of those, if not substantially better (the Maserati had very poor high-speed body control and the Porsche was simply a lot 'harder' in comparison). I wouldn't expect the M6 to ride as well as the Bentley, but then the Bentley will never feel as agile or responsive. As an aside, I also think that in the UK the M6 has a better image and even more presence than the Bentley. Whilst it doesn't have the badge kudos, it's sufficiently different to a normal 6 series and über rare in the UK meaning it really does stand out.

Frankly though, this car would drive me nuts if I used it solely in London or similar environment, not because of the ride (although for me, that would start to grate if all I did was drive it in an urban environment) but because it's a car thats just too good for the confines of a city. But then you'll be used to this with your existing car so that won't apply. Living somewhat further north, I'm lucky to be able to drive mine on a variety of roads but even thats not enough sometimes, at least not in the UK...I've just returned from a weekend in Germany where I really could open it up to experience it's potential and it feels liberating, the car really in it's element.

Anyway, hope that helps and if it's worth anything, one thing I would concur with most journalists on is that the ceramic brakes are probably an even more worthwhile option (for similar money) than the Competition Pack. They're outrageously good, and their massively reduced unsprung weight only contributes to a better ride quality. This may be one of the reasons that my (carbon ceramic equipped) CP car doesn't feel much different to my previous non CP, but also non-ceramic equipped one.
Appreciate 0