View Single Post
      04-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #68
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Below is email from SA. I think it is a bunch of bull because I contacted him everyday, and as of 2nd day he said that he open case with BMW NA. If he did so and waiting for instruction, why would anyone needs to move the car to try replicating the problem. I would gladly over look it if he says, OK, my tech or himself took it home. $15 worth of gas and 31 miles is nothing. By the way, I never work with this SA before, he has been with this dealership for 2 years.

"Hi Tom,

I was able to get some information back about the test drive on your 6 series.

Before the tech began work he test drove the car. This drive was on the freeway for about 4 - 5 miles. He was unable to verify the concern and brought the car back to the shop for further electronic evaluation.

While the car was in the shop he read faults, and found a one time misfire fault for cylinders 2, 5, and 7. The fault occurred when the motor was still cool and not at normal operating conditions yet. He let the car cool, and later that afternoon took it out for another drive in an attempt again to replicate the issue. The problem didn't surface, so the car was again returned to the shop. A engineering case was opened with BMW, and the car was parked overnight.

The following day the car was cold started and immediately driven; again in an attempt to replicate the driving conditions when the fault originally occurred. The car was driving this time about 10 miles. This allowed for cold condition testing all the way up to when the motor was warm and at normal operating conditions. Again no issue. The car was returned again to the shop. BMW had requested a fuel sample and data to be sent to them. Fuel sample was taken, data was sent and the car sat overnight again.

This process was repeated the following day. Cold started and driven on the highway until at normal operating temperature. Drive was aprox 10 miles.

Total of the test drives, and cold start drives made up the 31 miles on your car.

Again. I can compensate you for the fuel consumed during testing, but when a car is in for a concern such as yours it due require driving it.

I hope this helps with better understanding the test drives. In some cases vehicles need aprox 100 miles put on them. In a case like that I would contact you first, but at times those types of drives are necessary.

Will"
Appreciate 0