View Single Post
      06-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #34
Tobym5
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Damn annoying to see damage to your new car....I'd no idea that such relatively small damage showed up on a report.

In the UK we have a similar system but it's graded according to severity:
Category A - Vehicle must be crushed. All of it.
Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.
Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of vehicle.
Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.
Category F - Damaged by fire.
Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage.

A lot don't show on the register if obviously repaired privately (not through insurance), values do get affected but here is the difference. If the vehicle is repaired through insurance so deemed a 'proper job' then it doesn't show as far as I'm aware.
I had a 335d coupe a few years ago that had suffered a reasonably big accident, I didn't find out till after I bought it when I was searching through previous BMW visits it had. I had no info for one of them so I enquiried at the dealer who then after I requested sent the bill across which showed the extent of parts used. However it always looked and drive fine and I traded it back to a main dealer a few years later with no issues.

Regards leasing, why would you not? Why sink all your hard earned into a depreciating asset? Keep the bulk of your money earning for you and let BMW pay for it....decide what you are prepared to pay a month then hand it back at the end. No shame in that, it shows more intelligence than buying outright at the beginning.
Appreciate 0