View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I'm replying to my own message in the event that it helps anyone else with a new M6 Convertible who wants to get the windows tinted. I found the solution to get the rear window all the way up with the top down. You may want to provide this info to the shop doing your tinting as they can then get at the whole window quite easily.

The basic information on how to do this is based on the info in the Users Manual on Page 46. The info in the manual discusses how to manually close the convertible top in the event of a system failure. The info speaks on how to manually crank the rear window all the way down, but it also works to crank it all the way up. (When the top is down, you can not put the window all the way up using the switch on the door panel. It only goes about 3/4 of the way up).

Use the info in the owners manual to locate the necessary tools to manually crank the window. They are located in the rear seat pass-through bolster between the two rear seat backs. You really must push down hard on the upper clip in the pass-through bolster to remove the cushion. Inside the bolster is where the first aid kit is stored (european cars only) and also the emergency top tools (all cars). The tools consist of a small adapter pipe and two hex wrenches (one large, one small).

Remove the adapter pipe and the smaller of the two hex wrenches from the bolster. Refer to the diagram in the manual (3rd diagram on page 46) and pull up slightly on the plastic trim behind the seats. Although the adapter pipe is not intended for this purpose, it is convenient to slide it under the trim to hold it up and open about an inch. Slide the adapter under and offset to one side and not directly in the center. (The hex tool will need to go straight back under the center of the trim so we need to leave room in the middle).

With the plastic trim now propped up about an inch, simply slide the small hex tool straight back into the cavity and feel for the socket (you won't be able to see it). The tool should be slid straight back with the small angle end pointed down until you can feel, seat, and firmly engage the socket.

With the hex tool firmly in the socket simply rotate the tool from left to right (counter clockwise wrt to the socket) until the window is all the way up. You will have to disengage the tool from the socket and insert it again from the left most position in order to get the window all the way up. Turn, disengage, extract, reinsert... I think it took me about 5-7 times to get the window all the way up. You can tell when the window is all the way up as you will feel the stop as you try to turn the tool and you will see that the defroster traces and wiring have become visible at the bottom edge of the window.

Once the window is all the way up you can put the tools away and replace the bolster. The window can be retracted normally using the switch on the drivers side door.

I hope someone finds this useful!
Appreciate 0