View Single Post
      06-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #66
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I don't understand "removing the frame". Almost no car has had a frame for over 30 years, certainly not any BMW. Unibodies took over in the late 70s and 80s. You are correct on the LSD, and there are other minor differences as well, but my point is that the weight (due to CF roof or anything else) is not the primary difference between the M6 and 650.I also disagree with your "lowest weight cab" comment. Full aluminum structures like those from Jaguar, Audi and on the Corvette are much lighter, regardless of size. Considering their size, the F13s are not light. BMW could most certainly build a lighter car that would still handle all the power they can throw at it. But it costs either money or content.

If you read my previous quotes, I said the same things.
The thing is I was quoting other members' quote in this thread and you and another one quoted on my comments to "correct" me, missing my points. CF reducing the weight and center of gravity. this is just an example of reducing the weight not the only one. Unibody and removing the frame is another one. all of these help to reduce the weight. He said BMW did not a good job and was referring to the "good job" ... I mentioned the more CF to reduce the weight, increase the cost and exampled the i8 ... the only concern about extra weight is handling IMO and cost. that's why I compared Corvette with 911....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
hopefully you read my previous post ...
BMW made a bigger and more powerful car (F13 vs E63) which is heavier to met the requirement (power and handling). They could build it lighter? Maybe yes by using more CF like the driveshaft, trunklid,...they did for M3/M4 or what they did for i8 and build a CF unibody! I don't know M6 needs or it's practical, but for sure CF increases the price significantly! maybe it's engineering or marketing point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Unfortunately people think a lighter car is always faster... yes it's faster but if it has more power and if it's controllable/drivable ... you can put the S63 engine on E92 body and call it faster than M6, but is that car drivable? or need thousands of dollars to design specific suspension, drivetrain and .... to be able to be driven! it's not just weight and power... have you ever driven C5 or C6 Corvette? powerful + light with no traction for low dollar... now your favorite car (911) power + light + traction... twice the price for 911 base
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0