View Single Post
      03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Hesitation from standstill/slowing & shudder when crusing

It is going in on Monday for a diag and further test drive etc.

However recently, coming to a stop my poor 640d has had poor change downs and when moving off occasionally the revs rise, then jolt and we are off.

Also when cruising (50/60 and a little over 70 ) I have had three instances when there is a shudder lasting around a second or two, in these periods there is a loss of thrust from the engine (re-enforced by the fact my dashcam shows the car loosing about 3-5 mph).

Looking around at people with F10/F11's there is a number of people reporting issues surrounding EGR problems (and on my first test drive with a tech the EGR wasmentioned as a common problem on the N57's-lack of lubrication on the EGR valve).

In regards to more general running there is no warning lights (no EML), drivetrain faults that have appeared on the idrive. The idling is stable, however I would say it sounds *slightly* more noisey and harsher than I previously remember (however at this time of year additives also change in diesel so it could be that as well (however this has occurred over multiple tanks)). Finally, my MPG is a tiny amount under what I would expect when this occurs 34/35 MPG on the same trip, compared with 38/39. Overall MPG is down a little as well (considering the 6 is back on Summer tyres as well now)

Has anyone else experienced this? Equally, through power of deduction the EGR and circumstances would lead me to believe the EGR is a good possibility, would it sound plausible? (further evidence that those with F10 535d's there has been one poster on the bmw 5 uk forum mentioning he had two 535's (e60 and f11) requiring EGR changes (and £3k in warranty work because BMW could not track the initial fault until it was the EGR).
Appreciate 0