coolhandshin
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '11 650i Conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
ATX:

Since the transmission is so soft and quiet I can't really figure out wether it is the downshift process that takes time, or if the lag is due to building up pressure in the turbo. When dring in Sport mode you are normally in a lower gear and this reduces the lag. But it can be felt even then.

The 8AT is excellent. Almost no delay or lag between shifts.
People compared it to the DCT and have no dissapointments.

There is however a little turbo lag when you punch down that gas pedal.
All the reviews say that there is almost no turbo lag, but after you get used to the car, you definitely can feel that slight delay that NA engines don't have.

It's not to do with the transmission since this lag can be felt without shifting down and just pressing the gas pedal hard on manual mode. It's not unacceptable but it is definitely there, and when turbo kicks in you feel it kick in. I understand now why some people want that last NA engines in their cars.

One another thing that's different from the reviews; the convertible top is really nice but its sound blockage from the surroundings can never be compared to the non-converts. When it's really quiet at night and a car goes by, sometimes I look at the rear mirror to see if my back window is slightly open. It's tolerable but it does feel less concealing than all the reviews I have read.

Last edited by coolhandshin; 09-15-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0