Drives: F80 M3

Cool 2012 640i Coupe Review by CAR

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2012 640i Coupe Review by CAR
COMMENTS
Name:  Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 3.47.37 PM.jpg
Views: 10932
Size:  19.7 KB

CAR magazine took the 2012 640i coupe out for their first drive experience of BMW's newest 6-series coupe (the F13). The review was conducted by a self-described hardened BMW fan who we presume has plenty of BMW experience with which to compare the F13 against.

The reviewer falls in love with the drivetrain, but does he love the car overall? It sounds like the answer is "it depends." Viewed properly as a GT car, the car has no better rivals in the luxury coupe segment. Where it may fall short is if the driver expects an edgy sportscar.

Here's the crux of the review:

Quote:
Does the driving experience live-up to the spec?

The drivetrain is absolutely fabulous. The engine is super-smooth and the 640i easily feels good for its 0-62mph claim of 5.4-seconds. You can rachet-up the speed of shifts, tighten the suspension and alter the steering weight via the grandly titled Driving Experience Control switch. In Eco Pro mode the 640i feels like the throttle’s broken but the ride is excellent and it has the potential to deliver 36.7mpg. Shuffle through Comfort+, Comfort and then into Sport and Sport+ and it’s more BMW-like. Body control is good, there’s tons of grip and the gearbox really snaps through ratios like a twin-clutch system. There’s no need to use the paddle shifters, but you probably will because it adds just a bit more fun and control.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 10884
Size:  84.3 KB

Quote:
So it does the numbers, but is it exciting?

Exciting is perhaps too strong a word. Nothing wrong with the performance, nor the outright grip and composure of the chassis, but 1735kg is quite a lot of weight and the 6-Series never fully shrugs of its mass. More of a concern is the Active Steering system (an option that brings active rear wheel steer for added agility), which is very sticky at speed and highly unnatural. The idea is that this system makes the car easier to drive by speeding up the steering rack at low speeds (for parking or dealing with tight bends) and slowing it down for stability as speeds increase. The reality is that the front never reacts the same way twice, undermining confidence. Perhaps this would fade with time, but drivers who appreciate consistent controls will struggle to warm to the set-up.

The 6-Series is a hugely wide car, too. I suspect it might feel a bit too chunky on narrow UK roads for enthusiastic driving. Of course there’s more to a GT car than its outright handling balance and here the 6-Series looks more attractive. There’s plenty of room for adults in the back, a big boot and the interior is genuinely excellent. The quality is superb and it feels suitably expensive. Add that to the superb refinement and you get a car that would be a real treat on long journeys. You’d be very happy driving down to the Route Napoleon or the Alps… just don’t expect the Six to morph into a thrilling sportscar when you get there.
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 10767
Size:  89.5 KB
Name:  17.jpg
Views: 10779
Size:  70.1 KB

Quote:
How does it compare with rivals?

So the new 6-Series is essentially a much-improved version of the old car. The centre of its appeal is the superb drivetrain, the quality of the interior and its relative practicality. A Jaguar XK is nothing like as practical or efficient but is probably a shade more fun, a Maser GranTurismo is perhaps closest to the BMW in concept but costs vastly more. It’s a good car, no question. But my hardened BMW enthusiast tendencies means that I can’t help being a little disappointed that it’s not more fun to drive.
Name:  22.jpg
Views: 10652
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 3.47.37 PM.jpg
Views: 10932
Size:  19.7 KB

Source: CAR

Appreciate 0