View Single Post
      03-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

My 640d MSport has arrived -UK- pic heavy

I collected my long awaited 640d M Sport this morning, it looked absolutely fabulous sat outside the showroom and I was most definately not disappointed! Firstly, I was picked up at the Train station in a 530d GT M Sport, that is a large, but very fine looking car and if I had needed a car that size, it would most definately been a strong contender.

Anyway, I ordered the 640d on 17 January, on a very cheap Personal Contract Hire deal, and was told at the time that the car would be ready for the end of March, and so it was. The handover was great; I have bought 5 BMWs and 2 Minis from this dealership in 7 years, they know me and I know them, the prep was great, the accessories I ordered were in the car. The handover could have taken hours; the idrive/nav/and associated gizmo's and technology are amazing, but it is all reasonably intuative, so will just get on with it and learn as I go along! Connected iDrive was not available though, I have just registered for this and it takes a couple of days to be activated.

In terms of spec this car has just about everything you would need as standard (Media pack, Business HiFi, memory seats, leather, 8 speed auto, metallic etc etc) raiding the options list just seemed like pure indulgence and undermines the value of the Lease package, so I kept options to an absolute minimum. I specced DAB radio (shoud really be standard - it is on the 5 GT), BMW Apps, Telephone USB audio and wood trim, as I dont care much for the standard alumimium M sport trim. So, my options were about £600 or so. I wanted the 20" alloys, but resisted and glad I did, the 19"s look just fine and the ride is perfect. Colour is Carbon Black and the leather is Ivory White (could be a mistake!) and you will notice that I have already changed the ivory white velour floor mats to black rubber ones!

I am delighted with it, the HiFi is great - at least to my ears, and the engine is not 'diesel like' in sound at revs. The ride is much better than I thought it would be and is better than my wife's Mini by a mile. It is a big car though and it will be a great motorway GT cruiser, I wouldn't like to be driving around town much. Not much to add on the performance side, I drive like a grandma most of the time anyway, but I did blip the throttle on the M6 and was at quite a high speed in the blink of an eye! Most of the time I will be in 'Eco Pro' mode (that's tight arse mode) to extract the most miles from a gallon but no doubt will be seduced into 'Sport +' mode on occasion

Anyway, a few random pictures, in no particular order, I didn't want to dwell outside taking pictures for too long, it would have meant interacting with my neighbours who would make amusing comments like 'how long is this one on the drive for?'

Appreciate 0