gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The 8 series really is just a rename of the current 6 series, the car is 5 series based and about the same length as the current 6. I think that BMW feel that by calling it an 8 that they will be able to justify the higher price which was something the current generation of 6 struggled with, basically being the same price as the 7 but clearly not designed to be a big cruiser in the same league as the 7 or S Class.

I think that (while I love the E31 and won't sell my 850CSi) history will repeat itself with the E24 and E31. BMW attempt to make it more expensive and demand falls. What they should be doing is a similar price ratio as per the 3 and 4 series. Maybe 5-7% more on top, not 15-20% like it was between the 5 and 6 series.

BMW also struggles with the perception of them not having a real GT. People buy Bentleys, S63/S65 Coupes, DB11s and similar if they want a GT and don't seem to appreciate the current 650i or M6 which both offer similar levels of performance. I suspect their attempt to rename the new 5 series based Coupe as an 8 series will not take any sales from any of those cars.

In regards to a car to take on the 911, the 3/5/7 based cars will never work. They are too front heavy with a layout that just doesn't transform into a real sports car. What would be needed I think is that the new Z4 is limited to inline 6 engines, perhaps all the way up to the top spec S55 or S58 (whatever is available and current as an M spec inline 6) Then you have a 2 seater Z6/Z8/Z9 with a V8 and a transaxle. Basically an AMG GT from BMW. This may not sell very well at all and I doubt it would ever happen but this is the only way that BMW will ever make a sports car that can compete with the 911. It will never happen with a 3/5/7 based car.
I wish BMW wouldn't take that risk ... S63/65 are not high selling cars so they will have the same strugle with 8 er... The same issue with 6 er most of them sitting on lot for months and finally getting sold and leased with 10-20k off MSRP ... I am so disappointed they discontinued 6 er but if M8 is gonna hit the market soon, it will be in my list for next year
And I have no idea how their marketing works because now they can make 6 er a real 911 fighter and I'm sure so many people will welcome this idea...
The 6 will be the new 5GT .... BMW never has and never will make a true sports car I'm afraid .( M1 outstanding)
Appreciate 0