View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Yeah ceramic coatings don't prevent water spotting - see this video where CSL is being tested against the newer graphene coatings hitting the market. As a top protectant layer, they certainly shouldn't be enhancing the effects of water spotting, but are there to lessen the damage to your clearcoat (also to make routine cleaning easier).

In the video linked above, the hard water spots were ultimately only removed by polishing off the coating, which is better than polishing away clear.

Did you top your CSL with another coating by any chance? Exo is the recommended one and adds a lot more hydrophobic characteristics; further reducing chances of water sitting on the paint and the minerals embedding.
Yes, I topped it with EXO. But no, what I am saying is that those hydrophobic topcoats absolutely do enhance spotting - in a very major way. I have confirmed it on a pro detailers forum, and you can look on YouTube for a video called "The Dark Side of Ceramic Coatings" or some similar title. The prevailing theory is that because they cause tight droplets, the minerals are concentrated and held in place. Again - I have 30 years of parking cars in the same place under the same conditions with zero spotting until the ceramic coat was applied.
Appreciate 0