05-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #107
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Hi neversummer78. Any progress from BMW NA? Didn't hear from you for a while now. Hope the issues are getting addressed.
Hi Andreo,

Nope, this is the last email from the guy who owns my case on it on May 14th.

"Good afternoon Mr P...,

I have submitted the dealerships notes on Galo’s analysis from Friday. The regional field team is going to review the request for a Technical Service Engineer to inspect the vehicle and will let me know shortly if it can be arranged. As soon as they send me an update, I will let you know immediately.

Kind regards,
Damian"

I got another Drivetrain Malfuction error on May 17th, but I was lazy to post. However, I believe that this issue is everywhere on this particular engine model. I am quite certain that with poor octane rating, max 91 in US, I can replicate this problem on all BMW with this engine model. At a certain load, in Sport mode, at red line, this engine's default ECU mapping is probably too aggressive for 91 octane rating gasoline. At this point, I can reproduce this problem on demand. I am planning to test my theory with octane booster and see if my theory is right. With octane booster, octane rating will be bumped to 93-94 with 16 gallons tank. Then, I will go drive the same way I drive the entire tank and see if the problem comes back. If it doesn't, then I know BMW got major issue on their hands. Probably, this is the reason why they have been avoiding me because they don't have any real fix for it.

It looks like a long battle for me.

Thanks Andreo!
Appreciate 0