View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I'd go with full merino if you're going for anything other than black. For my current black interior I didn't add full merino. I had full merino in my 2008 M6 (Indy Red ext., Full Merino Black int.), as back then it felt like a necessity because the extended leather option meant having a very ugly plastic looking dash (the 2012+ M6 dash actually looks fine without the full merino). Thing is I had a very bad experience with full merino in that car. After 3 years of ownership the leather on the dashboard started to warp, stretch, and come undone from the edges where it was held to the rest of the cabin. I found this strange as it was a garage kept car, but I guess whatever little time it spent in this Florida sun slowly did the trick. Needless to say I took it to the dealer to have it repaired. The repair experience was awful. I thought it would be as simple as securing the warped leather back into place but, as I was told by the dealer, the leather was deformed so they would have to replace the entire dash. So they ordered a new dash, took the car apart and installed it. The only issue is I now had a dash with brand new leather on it which wasn't a 100% exact match to the condition of the leather on the rest of the car (which was slightly aged as is expected). The dealer naturally refused to change the rest of the interior leather trim to make it match as the leather was in great condition, just with slightly different shine and texture to it because it was no longer brand new. Long story short it was a nightmare and later on it started happening on other parts of the car. Having opted for a full black interior again, and being that the dash doesn't look unsightly without the full merino in this car as it did in the previous one, I went with extended leather and actually don't regret it. The only part I'm not satisfied with is the bottom half of the doors which is now made of that unsightly plastic that was prominent in the 2006-2010 M6's dash. Might have that part wrapped in black merino leather by a shop nearby that does custom interiors if I'm up for it one day.
Speaking of Merino leather, it's really nice and luxury but it's soft. I like Nappa more than Merino. I had my 2012 650i for about 18 months and I drove it every day. when I traded in, the leather was as nice as the first day. I saw this one yesterday on my 2013 M6 that I drove for just 9 months. It's driver's seat and i know it's because of jeans I wear!
Attached Images

Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0