02-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
BMW can't seem to decide on a consistent name for their adaptive suspension options, so t save you the trouble:

VDC = Variable damper control
Adaptive Drive = Adaptive roll bars + VDC

Not sure why its not listed as an option for the 640i, these options are available in one form or another on far cheaper cars in the BMW range. I am going to guess its just a mistake on the website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Mine has it on.
Thank you for the responses guys.

BMW does get a bit fancy with their nomenclature.

Every time I'm about to get a new car, I have to do more homework. Just realizing now that from the sport button on an 09 X5, which very likely was adaptive drive, to a rocker switch by the gear selector on my wife's '12 GT (no clue if its just VDC), to the EDC on my '11 M3.......there's every acronym in the book. Somehow my '08 335 coupe 6MT with all bells and whistles didn't have any such thing. Rode on coilovers better than it ever did on standard suspension and run flats.

Anyhow, back to the topic;

The concern is that the option on the configurator isn't listed at all to choose for the 640. I'll be doing the test drives tomorrow. the 640 has M sport, so I'd assume if they ordered it, they'd add adaptive to it, hopefully.

I'm already concerned that only the upcoming M6 GC might feel anywhere close to the liveliness of the e92 M3. Not in love with new M5, hence not considering it. No time to wait for 1+ yr on new M3/M4

Another concern is the 8AT gearbox. Will it be clearly soft/plush vs, MDC-T. I drive 90% in full manual/paddle mode.

I realize my concerns won't be answered till i drive them. So pardon the rant.

Back to the rocker switch beside the shifter, I noticed in in most new BMWs. Is that just VDC? in our GT, once in sport or sport +, the gears hold longer, car feels awakened, but it won't get to 8th gear, and generally doesn't suit the character of the car. Love cruising with the family in that car, don't like hustling it around.

Again thank you for your input and responses.
Appreciate 0