View Single Post
      01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Hi all, been away from the forums for quite some time!

So here's what I've learned after I created this thread (I've been discussing with other members by PM and other threads though, but haven't updated it here): our cars do not have the full GFHBA like the 7, 5 and 3 models have it; but also when you code the options I coded, you not only get VLD but you get a "partial" (just to try to use some term for it) GFHBA and this is why I say partial:

1-The high beams will "engage" and "stay" engaged while there is oncoming and/or preceding traffic and when I say engage in this case, I'm referring to the blue HB icon on the dash. You can see in my video that it lights on and stays on most of the time even around traffic.

Also, when my "partial GFHBA" engages, the passengers side headlight clearly moves up and to the right (I have more illumination of the right hand-side sidewalk and the road signs on the right side) and the drivers side moves a bit more to the center.

2-The headlights DO move independently when the car detects oncoming or preceding traffic, but they do it only side to side. If you pay close attention to the longest video I uploaded (posted above) you can see it several times.

And just to clarify, the two behaviors mentioned above are not part of Variable Light Distribution. VLD reacts only based on your car's speed and whether you have fog lights on or off in order to change the pattern of the light beam. e.g wide or narrow and long or short, You can easily see VLD in action as soon as you start driving - right after ~25 mph - your low beams will move inwards and concentrate the light beam in front of the car and when you get to a stop you can see how the lights go back to their "original" position. Also if you have VLD enabled, when you put your car in Reverse you can see how both headlights concentrate the light beam right in front of the car (similar to when reach S25 mph) and when you put it in Drive or in Park, they move back to the original position

Despite all of this, I can definitely agree that the full GFHBA is not active in our cars because even if that blue HB icon is ON on the dash, the high beams are not really active. You can tell the difference because when there is no traffic around you, then they really activate and certainly the HB do not act independently, meaning one side on HB and the other on LB. That is what is missing, but as explained it works up to some extent .

I'm eagerly waiting until the LCI models start to roll out to check if it will come with 5AP and then try to compare the coding to see if the limitations are only software-related or if some parts would need to be replaced.

but GFHB LED lights are so 2014! now all we need (and want) are laser lights!

Cheers!

Last edited by DR1er; 01-16-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0